News24 reported that Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir cannot be arrested while in Sandton, the area hosting the African Union summit, as the area is still under the jurisdiction of the organisation, quoting the South African Institute of International Affairs.
“As we know, because the AU was holding a conference in Sandton, that area has been declared as belonging to AU which is standard,” spokesperson Hopewell Radebe said.
“So this means no SA police members can go there and arrest anyone for the duration of the conference.”
Radebe said if Al-Bashir was to be arrested it would either be once he had moved out of the Sandton area or after the summit had been declared over, depending whether he was still around by then.
The High Court in Pretoria will on Monday hear an application on whether South African authorities can arrest him.
On Sunday, Judge Hans Fabricius ordered that the Department of Home Affairs ensure that all points of entry and exit be informed that Al-Bashir was not allowed to leave until the SA Litigation Centre’s (SALC) application that South Africa arrest him, is concluded.
The SALC wants South Africa to enforce two warrants for Al-Bashir’s arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in 2009 and 2010 relating to alleged war crimes and genocide.
Al-Bashir is in South Africa to attend the AU summit.
However. there have been conflicting reports about whether al-Bashir was still in South Africa or not.
Sudan’s Information Minister Ahmed Bilal Osman told Bloomberg on Sunday evening that al-Bashir had left South Africa and was on his way home.
“The president finished his business and is coming back home.
“Al-Bashir went to South Africa with complete guarantees that it will respect the African position regarding the ICC,” he reportedly said.
A Sudanese presidency official said Al-Bashir was still in Johannesburg on Monday morning and would leave later in the day.
Africa Thisday condemns any attempt to arrest any African leader attending the African Union Summit by the West as we consider it disrespectful from the west. No more shall the West waste Africa.
A Sudanese court on Monday ordered the release of a 27-year-old woman who was sentenced to death last month for allegedly converting from Islam to Christianity, the state news agency said.
The case of Mariam Yahya Ibrahim, who is married to a Christian American, triggered an international outcry. Britain had last month summoned the Sudanese charge d’affaires in protest at the sentencing.
“The appeal court ordered the release of Mariam Yahya and the cancellation of the (previous) court ruling,” Sudan’s SUNA news agency said. A government official had told Reuters on May 31 that Sudanese officials were working to release Ibrahim.
Ibrahim’s lawyer Mohaned Mostafa said she has already been released and sent “to an unknown house to stay at for her protection and security.”
“Her family had been threatened before and we are worried that someone might try to harm her,” Mostafa told Reuters.
Ibrahim was sentenced to 100 lashes for what it deemed her adultery for marrying a Christian. She gave birth in prison to a daughter, her second child by her American husband Daniel Wani.
Security sources say that Oguche was arrested through the help of the Military Attaché to the Nigerian High Commission in Sudan with the help of international security operatives. Ogwuche, who is a student of Arabic Language at the International University of Africa, Sudan is a British born Nigerian, formerly of the Nigerian Army with service number SVC 95/104 but was said to have deserted the Army in 2006.
DISTURBING: Here is the video the media didn’t want you to see…How Israel treats Africa and foreigners in general.
Video Posted on
Here is the video the mainstream media didn’t want you to see. It is a shocking footage of pogroms against African communities in Tel Aviv, and interviews with human rights activists. This is a situation very few Americans were familiar with.